Online Courses for those who want to use our materials but prefer to go solo. The current edition is due to start as from April 2019. It includes more videos, explanations, and activities so that those who want to prepare the whole exam or one part with Poppies can do it on their own or with a Coaching Pack. The number of places for the Coaching Pack is 10 This is to ensure we can provide appropriate feedback.
The Poppies Foundation Plus combines, in a seamless way, the preparation of the Practical Language Exam with the Topics and the Syllabus and Units. The objective is that you practise and connect the three parts (topics, práctico, and syllabus) in a logical, fruitful fashion.
Some of our students’ comments
The Materials are organised as follows, and you can choose to do just one, two, three or -as we recommend- the whole Poppies Foundation Plus:
1. Introductory Course on How to Efficiently study, revise and draft your topics
It lasts 1 week and it aims to:
- Give you ideas and develop techniques to study the topics efficiently so that you really remember and understand;
- Apply and analyse their contents for the practical exam and your syllabus and create your own topics.
- Help you assess what you have learnt and what you need to learn in terms of contents and in terms of structuring.
It consists of 2 Units:
a. Getting to know the Resources.
b. Study & Writing Techniques.
As a novelty and regardless of whether you
- are coming to the face-to-face classes,
- have virtual coaching, or
- are just preparing the exam on your own (online course only):
You will be asked to do 2 written assignments and will receive feedback.
To help you improve your writing skills and control times when you draft your essays so that they are complete, read well and they are your own.
- Structure & Development. (3 topics).
- Communicative Competence. (1 topic).
- Linguistic Competences. (6 topics).
- Pragmatic Competences. (8 topics).
- Socio-linguistic (& Socio-cultural) Competence. (4 topics)
- The 4+1 Skills. (3 topics)
- Notional Competence. (6 topics)
In total, we work on 31 topics/1993 list plus videos and workbooks to help you study efficiently, master the topic contents and draft good topic essays. The topics selected are considered essential for any English teacher to be familiar with and master. Besides, If the topics change for the 2020 exam, I guarantee that those selected in this course are the same with very slight variations or part of the draft list of topics. In which case, you will get the corresponding final topics written by me, in paper format when they are published by MAD-7Editores.
The Course includes not only the contents of the topics covered but also workbooks to help you implement the aspects dealt with in the Introductory Course so that you remember, understand, apply, analyse, create and self-assess your topics. In a few cases, you are expected to extract and personalise the contents from various topics to produce your own. Needless to say, to apply and analyse the contents you’ll need to relate them to the Práctico (Part 1A. of the Competitive Exam) and to your teaching practice and, therefore, your syllabus and units. It also includes videos with explanations and access to the Forum to ask possible doubts.
The aim is to help you prepare and distribute your time for the exam. Also, to improve your listening, summary and synthesis skills. Finally, to efficiently and accurately deal with the many different aspects of this part of the exam. This is why this part is closely linked to both the topics and the syllabus & unit design.
- Structure. Connecting topics, practical exam and Syllabus.
- Communicative Competence.
- Linguistic Competence. This part closes with a Mock Exam (Madrid 2014)
- Pragmatic Competence. This part closes with a Mock Exam (Madrid 2012).
- Socio-linguistic & Socio-cultural competences. Mock Exam (Galicia 2016).
- The 4+1 Skills. (Madrid 2018)
- Notional Competence. Mock Exam (Madrid 2016).
This is the second of the fully comprehensive Poppies Foundation Plus, which gives you a sound foundation around the 31 topics dealt with in Exam Part 1.B. Topic Preparation. It incorporates a variety of activities to include aspects covered in different Autonomous Regions (listenings, translation practice, text analysis of various types, summaries, essay writing, and teaching proposals). We rely mostly on you, students, former students, and readers of this website to keep us updated.
4. Exam Part 2. Syllabus & Unit Design
One of the goals is to help you understand the syllabus better (objectives, learning standards, key competences, assessment, etc.) Another is to help you design the best outline for your units. Other goals include understanding assessment better to improve this aspect in your syllabus and learning about the contents of current legislation. The contents are also intertwined with the topics and the language part.
- Structure. Students & Methods.
- Documents & Competences.
- Objectives & Linguistic Competence.
- Pragmatic Competence. The Rationale
- Socio-linguistic & Socio-cultural competences. Unit Planning. Assessment
- The 4+1 Skills. Strategies, tools and K. Competences.
- Notional Competence. Recap on Objectives, ELO, contents, activities, tools, assessment and units.
How much does the Foundation Plus Cost?
When you do the Foundation Plus online you can choose to do only one, two, three or the four courses combined:
- Introductory Course…………………..€27. Free when you enroll in 2. Exam Part 1B or in the Full Poppies Foundation Plus (Exam parts 1A&B & 2)
- Exam Part 1B Course………………. €127. You save €27 as you get the Introductory Course free
- Exam Part 1A Course………………. €127.
- Exam Part 1A+Part 1B…….€197. You save €84 as you also get the Introductory Course free
- Exam Part 2 Course……………….. €127.
- Exam Parts 1A+ 2…………..€197. You save €57
- Exam Parts 1A+1B+2……..€297. You save €111 as you also get the Introductory Course free
Would you like to add a 6-hour-one-to-one coaching-pack?
We can arrange what you most need to do in those six hours. You may choose to receive feedback on one or more topics drafted by you in two hours. And/or get feedback on the listenings and/or essays in the Language Exam. Or you may decide that it is best for you to focus on your syllabus design and on the oral presentation of the rationale and units. Of course, you can combine the three parts so that you get feedback on topics, language exam and syllabus and units. You pay €197 extra per 6-hour-one-to-one coaching pack.
But you need to hurry if you wish to have this option as there are only 10 places available for April 2019
How to book and pay for the Poppies Foundation Plus
To book these courses, please, fill in the form and tell us about the course or courses you want to book. We’ll send you instructions on how to may the payment and have access to the course or courses.