The contents of the Foundation Course
- Mini-course with tips on how to study the topics and how to draft good essays in English.
- 22 topics as stated in the course structure.
- Video presentations of the topics.
- A workbook for each topic to help you study it.
- 4 booklets (one per section, each consisting of 3-4 “units”) with language practice, including:
- Language practice of various types
- Text analysis of various types
- Summaries and/or compositions
- Answer key to language practice
- Video presentations with essential explanations for answer key
- Booklets and presentations on the connection between the topics covered and our syllabus design.
Price and access to the Foundation Course materials
The price for all the materials stated above is only: €147
- You may opt to buy just the materials and work on your own and at your own pace with them. You’ll have access to them on the Poppies’ platform. We feel that, with the video explanations, the workbooks and the answer keys you can make headway on your own.
- We strongly recommend you also get the book on Programación Didáctica. New Edition. It is a must for those attending our face-to-face classes.
If you prefer not just to have access to the Foundation Course materials, but also to have some further guidance and, above all, feedback on your work, we offer:
- Tutoring and replies via forum or e-mail.
- Feedback on 4 essays on topics written by you
- Feedback on summaries and essays asked as assignments (1 per section).
- General Revision of syllabus & units.
- Answer to your questions via the platform forum
- Use of certain ICT tools for assignments, feedback and further info: google drive/evernote/symbaloo.
Price for the Tutoring as stated above
To get our feedback on the 4 essays, the summaries and essays, the answer to your questions via the forum and the general revision of your syllabus:
- or 3 installments of €107 each.
In this case, you may also opt to have the occasional Skype session for clarification purposes. The price per hour is €35.
Or you may prefer to have a more personal tutoring via
Face-to-face or skype classes
Frequency of face-to-face or skype classes
- 2 & ½ hour classes of 4 participants.
- 2-hour classes of 3 participants.
- 1-hour private class either face-to-face or skype. (If you feel that you need to have one hour and a half, other prices will apply).
Organisation of Face-to-face and Skype Classes
Face-to face and Skype Classes use the materials from the platform and the Book on Syllabus Design (Programación Didáctica).
- If you book your course to start in September, you’ll have access to the platform as from 1st September.
- During that month, we are in contact so that I get to know your preferred days and times for the face-to-face classes.
- You start doing the assignments, particularly the first one in Section 1. This will help me organise the groups better. I take into account your needs, but also the best times and days for you and for me.
- If you already come with a group of three or four people, then we only have to focus on the best day and time for you and for me.
- In principle, you can opt to start the face-to-face classes in September or in October, once you know your timetable. This will also depend on availability.
- New classes and groups will start at other times, depending on availability.
Price for the face-to-face and skype classes
- Payment of materials (€147) serves as the confirmation of enrolment in the face-to-face or skype classes, once we have confirmed availability.
- Monthly fee: €137
- The tutoring is included in the monthly fee.
So, if you attend weekly face-to-face or Skype classes, you only pay the monthly fee for as long as we cover the materials in the course.
When we finish the materials in the Foundation Course, we move on to Building Block I.
At the moment all the places available for face-to-face and skype classes for the Foundation Course to start in September have been taken.
I’ll inform about availability as from October as soon as possible.
This is what some of our students say about the contents covered in the Foundation Course:
Q&A: Frequent questions re the Foundation Course
In the next few weeks, I’ll be answering some of the most common questions you have asked me to try and clarify things for you.
Q: The Materials in the Foundation Course cover the 69 topics or only 22?
Answer: The materials we cover in the Foundation Course are 22 topics from the list of 69. The topics are the following: 1,2,3,4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 19, 23, 28, 29, 32, 33. 34. 35. 36, 37 & 38.
Q: Why have you chosen those topics?
Answer: First, the topics in the Foundation Course are not covered in the order stated above and this is so for a reason.
The idea behind the Foundation Course is to give the candidate a solid foundation as a teacher so that we practise how to write essays for the topics and we also use those topics as the basis for the language practice and the syllabus. That is why the topics chosen for the Foundation Course cover issues related to methodology, communicative competence, grammar —particularly in terms of word-formation and sentence structure, semantics, text types and genres, functions, discourse, phonetics and the 4 skills.
Q: and why only 22?
Answer: The reason for covering only 22 topics is that the preparation for the exam is comprehensive and there’s no way you can properly study more than 22 topics and, at the same time practise for the Practicum and organise the contents of your syllabus in 6 months or so, which is the estimated length of the course.
Once you finish the Foundation Course, you carry on to the Building Block I, which follows a similar organisation but it’s shorter so as to complete a 9/10-month period of preparation.
Q: How do you give the materials?
Answer: You can download the topics, workbooks or booklets or you can see them online. They come in pdf. For the videos, you have a link to watch them online from the platform. The forum is also on the platform.
Q: Are the materials in the Foundation Course the same as those you have published with Editorial MAD-7 Editores?
Answer: No, of course not. The books published with MAD-7 Editores are paperback and they are for you to study and work on your own. And, of course, we also welcome any “preparador” using those materials in their classes.
The materials in the Foundation Course have been chosen and designed for the Foundation Course. The only book (also paperback) we use in the course, but it is not included in the price of the Foundation Course materials, is the book on Programación Didáctica. And what we do in the Foundation Course is to use it as a reference, but we cover practical aspects which the book cannot cover.
If you still have doubts, do not hesitate to contact me.